In this section we will discuss some features of JMeter
Overview of JMeter
Apache JMeter is an Open source Testing software which was developer by Stefano Mazzocchi of the Apache software Foundation, JMeter is easy to use can be downloaded free of cost. This is purely Java based application used for performance testing and monitoring the speed, response time , stability etc. of the application You can analyze and performance of the application by using the JMeter Open source tool. There are lots of plugins available freely in market. We can use theme to extend the functionality. So JMeter is the best tool for Performance Testing.
Some protocols which are supported by JMeter are ,
- HTTP / HTTPS
- Web Services
- FTP Services
- JDBC etc.
JMeter features are describes as below
- License: This is available freely as this is an Opensource software
- User Interface: The GUI of JMeter is very simple and User friendly. A layman without coding knowledge can understand and use this tool as compared to Other Performance Testing tools.
- Reporting: JMeter provides CSV and XML reports only by default. We can use additional plugin to generate the customized graph result for better understanding of the result
- Supported Testing: In JMeter we can perform both functional testing and Regression apart from the Performance Testing and Load Testing. This also supports the distributed testing where master will spread the tests among all slave and slaves will execute the functionality.
- Server Supported: JMeter support LDAP, HTTP/HTTPS, SMTP, FTP, Web Services etc for conducting the Performance Testing.
- Threading: JMeter is a multi threading framework in which samplers are running in concurrent manner.
- Configuration: JMeter is very simple to use and install. There is no programming knowledge required to configure the JMeter.
- Platform: Java is 100% purely java-based software. So this is platform independent and support each and every platform. On windows, we can execute JMeter by opening the jmeter.bat file and on UNIX/LINUX, by clicking on jmeter.sh.
- Format: The format of JMeter is XML format. Which means we can generate our test plan using normal text editor.
- Highly Extensible: JMeter support the visualization plugins which allow you to extend the basic functionality.
- Customization: Developer can customize the source code as per the requirement as this is Open source and its plugins are available freely in market.
- Community Support: JMeter has big community support and also lots of tutorial videos are available.
Disadvantage of JMeter
- Unlike Load Runner, it is not supporting Network Visualization feature.
- As compared to other paid tool it provides very limited real time test monitoring capability.
- So to execute JMeter script for high load, the normal configuration machine is not sufficient enough. In such case distributed testing is performed or high configuration cloud environment required